Date posted: 16.07.15

Taking care of your Limestone fireplace

Siena Optimist 186x120

  • Never use wax or spray polishes on a limestone fireplace, as these products can darken the surface of the limestone and create patches.
  • Never use kitchen or bathroom cleaners, as they could react with the limestone surface.
  • Never allow cigarettes to be placed on the stone surface, the heat could cause a brown scar.
  • Never stand vases with flowers directly on the limestone surface, as this could cause a permanent ring mark!
  • Never stand red wine, tea or coffee etc., directly on your limestone fireplace – stains and ring marks could result!
  • Never stand coal or logs directly on the fireplace surface – damage and stains may result!
  • Never stand candles directly on the fireplace surface – damage and stains may result!
  • Never plaster on to or down to a limestone fireplace – the stone will take up colour from the plaster.

The best way to clean off a grubby mark from limestone fireplaces is simply to use a clean cotton cloth dampened with very dilute washing up liquid. Do not soak the stone and try to do the cleaning as soon as you notice the accident (hopefully immediately) – if you do spill coffee or wine onto the stone surface don’t panic, just clean it off thoroughly with a dampened cloth and everything should be fine…
Note: Limestone is absorbent and when it is washed it will appear darker, and may take some days to dry out this will depend very much on the room temperature.

Latest News