Maintaining Your Charlton and Jenrick fire or stove

It is a requirement to service your fire every year to maintain its manufacturers warranty. Electric fires generally will just require a health check however stoves and gas fires will need a fully qualified engineer to carry this out.

To help you select the right engineer we have put together some information below alternatively call our customer service team on 01952 200444 or click here to book a Charlton and Jenrick engineer.

What is Gas Safe?

Gas Safe is an industry standard that helps keep you safe in your home. Here is what you need to know.

What is the Gas Safe register?

The Gas Safe register is a list of all the engineers and companies in the UK who are able to safely carry out work on gas appliances. It includes installers and installation companies who are qualified to work on gas or LPG appliances (including installation, servicing, maintenance and repair).

By law, every gas engineer working in the UK needs to be actively registered on the Gas Safe register in order to work on gas, oil and LPG appliances. Gas Safe replaced CORGI registration and is there for your protection, so use it and be safe.

Why does being Gas Safe matter to you?

An installer who isn’t Gas Safe may not be able to work on your appliances safely. According to recent research by the Gas Safe Register, up to 96% of illegal gas jobs were found to be unsafe, potentially putting you and your family at risk.

Poor workmanship can damage your appliances and may result in costly repairs later on. Even worse, an illegal fitter could make your appliances dangerous, increasing the risk of explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning for you and your family.

By selecting a Gas Safe installer, you can trust that you are working with a skilled, inspected, and reliable engineer who will prioritise your safety, warmth, and well-being in your home.

What does Gas Safe tell you about your installer?

To be included on the Gas Safe register, installers must meet several essential requirements. These include:

Relevant qualifications:

· Your installer will need to have completed an NVQ or SVQ, or will have been awarded an ACS or QCF for delivering work that is up to the required national standard.

· Fuel based qualifications: In addition to the basic Gas Safe requirements, some installers will have completed additional training in order to work on other fuels, such as LPG or oil.

· Recent qualifications: Gas Safe engineers are required to retrain every five years in order to maintain their registration. This means they are always up to date with the latest requirements and safety practices.

· Completed probation: All Gas Safe businesses are required to undertake a three-month probationary period, during which time the Gas Safe register will review and inspect all works carried out. The business will only move out of probation once they have passed their inspections.

· Businesses must renew their Gas Safe registrations annually and should have a valid, up-to-date Gas Safe registration card before performing any work in your home.

We do advise that you use a HETAS or UK recognised professional body registered engineer to carry out your service or repair work.

Or to book a Charlton and Jenrick engineer call our customer service team on 01952 200444 or click here.

What is HETAS?

HETAS stands for Heating Equipment Testing and Approvals Scheme, the UK’s official body recognised by the government to authorise solid fuel domestic heating appliances, biomass, fuels and services. HETAS is the organisation responsible for certifying installers, providing training, and registering competent installers who can handle both the paperwork and selection of the appropriate installation for your home.

HETAS Activities

Given the fact that HETAS oversees all types of activities related to alternative heating regulations and systems.

Their activities range from:

· Installer Registration – Certified installers are trained and certified to UKAS standards, thus they can certify that their endeavours comply with the relevant building regulations. They have access to Technical Handbooks, consultations and updates, equipment, competitively priced insurances, and Prompt Payer membership.

· Training – HETAS provides top training for solid fuel, wood and biomass. They offer comprehensive courses specially designed for installers, chimney sweeps, specifiers, Local Authorities, Building Control officers, and those associated with the wood and fuel supply chain.

You can book a Charlton and Jenrick engineer direct by call our customer service team on 01952 200444 or clicking here.