Today, 18th November 2019 is the first day of CO Awareness Week. Gas appliances, which are faulty, or have not been serviced for a long period of time can produce a deadly gas named carbon monoxide (CO). It can kill as well as cause serious long term health problems.
Incomplete burning of natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) can create CO. This often occurs when a gas appliance has not been fitted correctly, or if poorly maintained. CO poisoning can also occur if flues or chimneys or vents are blocked.
CO Poisoning Can Cause:
Why is CO So Deadly?
The main reason why CO, or Carbon Monoxide is so deadly is that you can’t smell or see it. Because of this, it’s vital that you’re aware of what causes it and how to prevent it. Around 30 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning and another 4,000 are treated in hospital but the real number is likely to be higher with early symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, nausea and breathlessness, easily mistaken for flu or fatigue.
Apart from getting your gas appliances checked regularly, a CO Alarm will also be a great idea for increased safety.
What to do if you suspect CO poisoning
Be Proactive – Help Reduce Chances of CO Poisoning
Get your appliances checked:
If you notice any of the following signs, you will need to get your appliance serviced right away:
Having a new gas appliance fitted?
Buying a new home?
By law only a Gas Safe registered engineer can work on a gas appliance. Due to this fact, a homebuyers or structural survey will often not determine if a gas appliance is working correctly. You should ask the current owners for a gas safety record for all the gas appliances in the property. If there is no record, or the last service was over 12 month ago, it is wise to get a Gas Safe engineer to check the gas appliances before you move in.
More info about gas safety can be found at https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/