Our range of gas stoves has increased in recent months with the impending launch of the Paragon Edge.
A gas stove is a great alternative for those that want the look and feel of a traditional wood burner, but do not want to prepare wood.
There are very obvious differences between a gas stove and wood burning stove, which we don’t need to go into, but here are a few things you should think about before buying a stove of the gas variety. These points cover advantages and things to also be aware of.
1. Gas stoves much always be fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
2. Always make sure you ask to see the Gas Safe engineers Gas Safe registration card – see below for an example:
3. Gas stoves are ok to use in smoke control areas
4. You normally don’t need additional ventilation for a gas stove
5. A flue liner may not be needed for gas fires if a chimney is of sound construction
6. If you do not have a chimney, there are other options, such as using a balanced flue, or an insulated flue lier. A balanced flue gas fire works with glass-fronted fires only. The appliance is sealed from the room by a glass window. A twin-wall pipe is a key feature of a balanced flue gas fire. One of the pipes draw in air for the fire, and the other pipe removes combustion gases to the outside environment
7. It is highly recommended that gas stoves are serviced on an annual basis by a Gas Safe registered engineer
8. Gas stoves can be used to heat single rooms rather than a full house, which will save energy and contribute to lower emissions, not to mention saving you money
9. Unlike a wood burning stove, a gas stove does not require any chimney sweeping
10. Fitting a gas stove is a relatively simple process for a qualified expert
While some people will only want to use a traditional wood burning stove, the introduction of gas stoves has certainly opened up the market to attract those that may otherwise never have owned a stove. Storing, preparing and burning wood, and dealing with the ash after, and taking time to sweep a chimney is not to everyones liking. Some wont have the time, others simply don’t want to make time, others physically wont be able to. Gas stoves are here for those that love the look a stove gives, without the added work.
View our Paragon Edge gas stoves here