ENERGY EFFICIENCY OF WOOD BURNING STOVES
Learn more about how energy efficient a stove can be.

ENERGY EFFICIENCY OF WOOD BURNING STOVES

How ‘air-tight’ a home is can have a significant impact on it’s energy rating. Investing in a stove or gas fire (or any form of  heating for that matter) will help warm  your home, and so the  last thing you then want is for your  warmed air to escape, but  at the same time ventilation is  essential to allow toxic gases to  be vented into the atmosphere.

There is a balance between  having an ‘air-tight’ home and   allowing adequate ventilation,  and of course not needing to  mention the carbon footprint of  the fuel you are burning.

Installing a wood burning stove for heating both the air and water in your home can help you become much more energy efficient, and as a result reduce your carbon footprint.

Wood is the most environmentally friendly fuel as it is sustainable and is almost carbon neutral.

 

What is Carbon Neutral?

Carbon neutral is a term that is used to describe the action of individuals (also businesses) to remove as much carbon dioxide from the atmosphere as they put into it. Wood comes from trees (obviously!) and the natural cycle of planting and harvesting trees has created a sustainable process. Burning wood creates a little carbon dioxide, but carbon dioxide is taken out of the atmosphere by growing trees too.

Approx Carbon Dioxide (kg/KWh) by Fuel Source:

Electricity – 0.53kg
Oil – 0.26kg
Dual Fuel (Wood & Mineral) – 0.22kg
Gas – 0.2kg
Wood Pellets – 0.02kg
Wood Logs – 0.008kg

Stove Efficiency:

Stoves are very efficient and burning wood is almost carbon neutral. A good quality stove should be around 80% efficient. This means 80% of the heat that is being produced from the stove is being used to heat the room. So what happens to the other 20%? This is mostly lost by heat rising up the chimney.  An open fire has an efficiency of around 32% and a room open gas effect fire has in the region of a 55% efficiency.
A wood burning stove makes an excellent choice for heating a home, whether it is just for a heating a home’s air, or better still, if you wish to use it for heating the air and water.

PureVision Wood Burning Stove Efficiency

Total efficiency is measured using well established methods from harmonised EU standards EN 13240 and EN 13229. This is an indicator of the ability of a stove to turn fuel into heat for you. Below is the total efficiency of some of our PureVision stoves:

PureVision 5 & 5i – 80.2%
PureVision 5W & 5iW – 82.2%
PureVision 85 & 85i – 76.7%

Below is the CO2 emissions of the same stoves:

PureVision 5 & 5i – 0.1%
PureVision 5W & 5iW – 0.08%
PureVision 85 & 85i – 0.1%

To view our range of wood burning stoves, request a free brochure online here.

OUR BRANDS
FirelineInfinityParagonKatellPurevision
LATEST NEWS View All >
Britian Leading Climate Change Fight
BRITIAN LEADING CLIMATE CHANGE FIGHT
Britain is only second behind Denmark in the global rankings for clean power use. Our phasi
Posted on 11/12/2018 in Info Centre
READ MORE
3 Reasons to Consider Gas
3 REASONS TO CONSIDER GAS
Many homes across the UK are missing out on the benefits, which can come from a new, high efficiency
Posted on 10/12/2018 in Info Centre
READ MORE
Stove Beauty Tips
STOVE BEAUTY TIPS
It's that time of the year, when it's good to look beautiful. Whether you're off to the works Christm
Posted on 03/12/2018 in Info Centre
READ MORE
FIND A SHOWROOM
Find your nearest Charlton & Jenrick showroom
SEARCH SHOWROOMS
REQUEST A BROCHURE
View our exquisite range of products
REQUEST
DOWNLOAD OUR BROCHURE
Since you're interested in what Charlton & Jenrick have to offer, why not leave your email address so we can get in touch about our latest range. Or feel free to download the brouchure with the link below.

Please tick to give your consent to allow us to send you news and product information from the Charlton & Jenrick range from time to time. We never share your details with any external companies.