We have spoken at length before about the importance of having your heating appliances serviced regularly. We have also outlined how important it is to ensure you have your chimney swept regularly if you burn wood. The reasons for this is to reduce the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning occurring. Carbon monoxide is formed when you burn a fuel. Ensuring it vents to the atmosphere is vital, as unlike other gases, you can’t smell it.
In-door pollution is a growing problem with homes becoming more “air-tight” due to improvements in home insulation. While they may be great at keeping warmth in, it’s not ideal for tackling in-door pollution.
What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?
Carbon monoxide is produced from the incomplete burning of a fuel. Just 2% of carbon monoxide in the air can kill you in 3 minutes. It’s colourless and odourless. It’s deadly as it binds to the haemoglobin in the blood, which normally carries oxygen. Essentially if suffocates you.