DO’S AND DONT’S OF CARING FOR A WOOD BURNING STOVE
A multi-fuel stove is a delight to have roaring away on a cold, winter evening. They are beautiful to watch, and bring unparalleled warmth to any home.
However, unlike a gas fire, a stove is not something you can simply turn on and off when needed.
Planning ahead to ensure you have sufficient fuel supplies, and warming up before you gain full heat output, are very important factors to consider when maintaining and caring for your stove.
Stoves are beautiful to watch, controllable and cost effective, but will need some practice and experience to get the best from them.
The importance of quality, well seasoned dry firewood or quality smokeless fuels, and a sound clean chimney or flue cannot be overemphasised.
Below are some simple safety tips to ensure you are getting the best from your Stove:
- Do ONLY use quality clean, dry hard wood, or smokeless fuel. Kiln dried wood is great.
- Do check your wood is less than 20% moisture inside the log when split. Use a moisture meter..
- Do get the flue or chimney swept and checked at least annually.
- Do always use a fireguard for children and the infirm.
- Do use the stove gloves and tools provided as needed.
- Do open the top air control (air wash) to help keep the glass clean.
- Do warm up the stove fully on the first loads of fuel before reducing the air controls to a lower position.
- Do keep your stove clean inside & out.
- Do purchase and use a CO alarm.
- Don’t leave the stove unattended with the air controls wide open.
- Don’t over fire your stove by overloading with fuel or leaving the air controls too far open for too long it will damage it.
- Don’t let any metal part of the stove glow red hot (including the baffle plate) – this is over firing and will damage your stove!
- Don’t be concerned about a haze or smoke off the stove when new, this is paint curing and any remaining protective oil film evaporating off. Ventilate well.
- Don’t cover or remove your CO alarm from the room, it is there for your protection.
- Don’t burn rubbish, painted or preserved wood in your stove, it can cause damage, excessive smoke and is illegal.
- Don’t close the stove air controls down too quickly before the chimney and stove have properly warmed up, it can stifle the fire and cause smoke and tar build up.
- Don’t store logs or coal right next to your stove – they can overheat!