- Our Range
- Fire Types
- About us
- Contact Us
It’s all too easy to forget some simple safety points during the festive season. With a busy house, buying gifts, wrapping gifts, panicking you’ve missed something, lots of food and drink….You can see how problems can arise.
Here are a few quick and easy Christmas stove safety tips you should take a moment to consider.
They may look great, and create a real festive winter look, but storing logs right next to the stove can be very dangerous. The reason for this is simple. Firewood, which is too close to a fire can sometimes ignite. Numerous house fires have been started this way. Make sure your firewood is kept at a safe distance from your stove, so they don’t get too hot.
Be aware of the deadly threat that Carbon Monoxide poses.
Signs and clues:
An unattended stove can be dangerous. If you have pets or small children around be particularly careful. There are a variety of stove guards on the market, which can protect against potentially serious burns.
Hot or cooling ash can be a fire hazard, and also potentially a carbon monoxide threat. Always ensure that ash is cooled fully before removing, and that you use correct safety gloves. When you remove the ash also make sure that it is disposed of in the correct way. Use an ash can or bucket to remove the ash, and take the time to ensure ash is carefully placed in the can or bucket – it’s easier than you think for ash to be blown in the air, especially if a door or window in a home is open. You can also recycle your ash.
Never burn wrapping paper – as tempting as it maybe. Not only could you risk destroying a small gift hidden deep inside the bundle of paper, wrapper paper often contains plastic and other elements, which are not suitable for burning on a stove.
Often installed, easily forgotten! A smoke alarm with no power is as useful as no smoke alarm. Take a moment to check them and if you can’t remember the last time you replaced the batteries, then replace them. If your fire alarm is mains operated, make sure your backup battery is working.
Only wood on your stove (or other designated fire) should burn at Christmas. However, sadly there are always reports of Christmas trees catching fire. This can happen if tree lights are faulty, are frayed or the plug sockets are overloaded. You should only buy tree lights marked with the British Safety Standard sign.
Keeping your tree well watered can help reduce the chances of a fire too, as the wood in the tree will have a higher water content – making it less likely to burn, compared to a dried out tree. The main thing here is to reduce sources of ignition, which are almost always from Christmas tree lights, which go wrong.
Being safe at Christmas doesn’t have to be hard work – it just takes a few moments to think.